Ixi! Você bateu no paywall! Isso quer dizer que você já acessou três conteúdos neste mês.Insira seu nome e e-mail para acessar mais duas reportagens gratuitamente. Assinante? Faça Login Voltar para a home Ou faça sua assinatura e tenha acesso a todo o conteúdo do Joca Selecione o plano que você deseja assinar abaixo: On-line
At the age of 38, the Indian woman Anshu Jamsenpa has already climbed the 8,848 metres of the tallest mountain in the world, Mount Everest, five times. Everest is a peak in the Himalaya mountain range. In 2017, Anshu set a new record: she became the first woman to climb Everest twice in just five days.
To face the challenges along the way such as low temperatures and strong wind, Anshu did intensive training by hiking and weight lifting.
The desire to climb Mount Everest came up in 2009, when Anshu was working for an agency that would take people on expeditions through the Himalayas. After preparing for two years, she climbed the mountain for the first time and has not stopped since.
Mount Everest Fun Facts
– It is located between Tibet and Nepal in the Himalayas, which has 15 of the tallest mountains in the world.
– Temperatures there can dip to -70ºC.
– Close to the top, the air only has 30% of the oxygen that there is at sea level. This makes it more likely that muscles weaken and pulmonary edema appears (when lungs fill up with fluid).
Questions – level II
– What record did Anshu Jamsenpa set in 2017?
– According to the text, what are some of the challenges of climbing Mount Everest?